Thursday, December 8, 2011

The City of Ember

Dear Journal,
      It's Lina Mayfleet and yesterday I got my job for the City of Ember. At first, the mayor assigned me as the pipeworks laborer, which is terrible because you're underground and you have to work with the sewer pipes and Ember's water. I had to announce to my whole class that I was the pipeworks laborer loud and clear. Thankfully though, Doon had messenger and wanted to switch with me! So, now I got what I wanted! He said he wanted to get close to the generator and that's why he wanted it.
      Today was my first day at work being a messenger. I loved it because I can run and deliver messenges to everyone! Even though Captain Fleery gave me rules, they were simple and easy to follow. My very first customer was old Natty Prine and it felt the best delivering a messenge for the first time. I even got to send a messenge to the mayor! I am so excited to do this everyday because it is so fun. I wonder if Doon is having fun underground?
                      Sincerely,
                              Lina Mayfleet
Dear Journal,
Then yesterday the mayor had a town meeting that we were all supposed to attend. He said it was important information because of when the light's went out again for a while. I always wondered what would happen if the lights never turned back on. At the meeting the mayor didn't give much information and it was very hard to hear him in the crowd. A lot of people were mad and we all thought the mayor was just trying to keep us calm and quite.
      When I got home today from work I saw granny looking for something, but the weird part is that she didn't even know what it was. Then a couple days later I saw Poppy ripping and chewing on paper. It was what granny was looking for and I couldn't quite figure out what it was because it was in tiny pieces. I think it was instructions for something, but what could it be? Why was granny looking for it anyways?
  
                       Sincerely,
                            Lina Mayfleet

Dear Journal,
   A while ago, Doon told me that there was a door in the tunnel that he found, so we decided to go and see if we could open it. It was locked as we tried to open it but then we heard footsteps and we hid. We couldn't figure out who it was because it was so dark but the person had a key. He opened the door and went in but we couldn't see what was inside. We left thinking of who it could be and what was behind the door.
    Today, Doon told me that he went back to the tunnel and it was unlocked. I was very curious but had a lot on my mind after granny died. He said that the door lead to a storage room with boxes of supplies. Not only did he see that, but he also saw the mayor who was sleeping. The mayor was stealing all the supplies and keeping it to himself. He didn't tell the city and was lying to all of us.
                        Sincerely,
                             Lina Mayfleet

Dear Journal,
      Last night, Doon and I finished the rest of the instructions and he was going to look for the rock marked with an E while at work. Thankfully it was Song Rehearsal Day so I could leave work around twelve. Doon found the rock down by the riverbank so we both decided to go. After we found the rock, they went down below to get to the river. Then we saw a door that brought us to the boats.
      Through the door, we saw many boxes that had something called a "match" and a "candle" that you would light the candle with the match to make light. With the light, we went further in the darkness and found many boats enough for the city. You would take the boats and it would take you throughout the river. Doon and I decided we were going to tell the whole city about the instructions. Well, I'm going to go do that and see how it goes! Wish me luck!
          Sincerely,
              Lina Mayfleet

Dear Journal,
       As we were going to tell everyone the news, we saw signs saying that we were spreading rumors and if you saw us report us immediately. They had the signs because we reported to the guards that the mayor was a thief. We went to the school to think of a plan and once we did, I started to run before the guards saw me. As I tried to deliver the note to Clary, the guards caught me and brought me the mayor's office. I didn't have a plan and didn't know what to do.
     As I was in the mayor's office getting a lecture about how I was going to be in the prison room, I tried to think of a plan. Then the lights went out and it was my perfect time to escape. As I ran and they chased me down I soon later met up with Doon. We both had a plan and that was to leave with Poppy too. We were going to leave Ember for good, and hopefully be successful with that.
               Sincerely,
                     Lina Mayfleet
Dear Journal,
        Our adventure was great and we discovered a new world! After the river we came to a rocky patch and Poppy saw a book. We read through the book and it told us the story of how Ember became a city. We packed enough food for about a week and plan to stay here. The City of Ember was underground and nobody knew it.
     In this new world there are lights! It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen! We left a note for Ember and hopefully someone will find it! We gave them the instructions on how to get here too. Through this journey, my theory of more cities was right and there was a blue sky, like in my drawings.
             Sincerely,
                  Lina Mayfleet
    

No comments:

Post a Comment